Thursday, February 14, 2008

Interview with Zack Skolnick


Today I sat down with Zack Skolnick

A. It all began when my father took me to watch him race his formula ford at limerock when I was five years old. Ever since then I have been hooked and by seven I sat in my first racing kart Q. Why open Wheel A. Since I started racing karts, I always knew one day I wanted to race open wheel. With the growing popularity in america of oval and stockcar racing my focus has changed to one day racing in the Nextel Cup. or owning a multi car team in nascar Q. Which would you rather do own or drive A. I am going after trying to become a driver in the ranks of Nextel Cup. People always need something to fall back on and that is why I find it important for myself to go to college and get a marketing degree. So to answer your question, I want to drive but owning a team is something I can fall back on.But owning a team is something that has always brought interest to me Q. Would you drive and own like say Jr or Harvick A. With the business of Nascar at a record high, I would have to say I rather do one or the other. It is very hard to drive and own such as that as Mike Waltrip. If the opportunity was presented with a sponsor, I would drive and own like that of Dale Jr or Kevin Harvick. Doing both is a very hard task.but doable
Q. Being a former open wheeler there are some things you learn here that you can't in stockcars what have you learned
A.
I have learned alot from being a open wheel driver when converting to oval racing. Turning just left or just right will take a bit to get used to but feel the transition period to ovals is going well
The oval cars are heavier and feel that the things I have learned over the past years are going to help me long term with oval racing

Q. We see Stewart and Gordon do it wth ease can you?

A. Tony Stewart is one of the drivers I look up to. I feel with alot of testing and racing under my belt that I can go to ovals without or with little problems

Q. Whats your 5 year goal

A. in 5 years, I see myself graduating from college with a degree in marketing or management. To set a realistic goal, I will be in ether busch or arca by that time.

Q. 10 years

A. in 10 years i see myself as ether a top 10 driver in the nextel cup series or owning a multi car team in the busch/ and truck series.

Q. What do you do for fun

A.For fun I enjoy racing on my simulator, playing with my dogs Sam and Buddy, and hanging out on the beach. I forgot to mention, Indoor and Outdoor Karting.

Q. I understand your ognna be racing in france in the 24 hours of kart how is the kart

A. My first twenty four hour kart race was in Batalha,Portugual a few weeks ago. Nascar driver Jerry Nadeau was my team mate. We had a team of five. I qualfyed the team 8th but was half a kilo under weight so we had to start from 31st. In the end we were the highest finishing international team. The Endurancekarting.com team ran strong.My next 24 hr kart race will be at the kart track in Lemans, France. My teammates include that of Nascar drivers Jerry Nadeau and Busch driver John Freeman. This race will take place over July 4rth weekend.

Q. Can you win

A. Last years american team finished 3rd in class at lemans. I feel that with the amount of talented drivers on the team, Endurancekarting.com has a very good shot at bringing the championship home for america. The team consists of Johan Schwartz, Jerry Nadeau, Glenn, Dan Burke, and myself Zack Skolnick

Q. You recently tested a legend car how did it handle for you

A. The legend test which was provided By John Hugate of Rts Performance (http://www.jerseylegends.com/) went very well. The car was well setup and felt like an oversized race kart with springs. The engine had alot of power and the experience to drive on oval went great.

Q. do you see legends has the next step in racing

A. Yes, I feel that racing the legend car is the next step in my career as a driver. 600 racing and INDEX racing offers a great program which provides the drivers with spec racing and for me it is great for the drivers trying to pursue a career in stock cars.


Q. Thanks for your time Zack and do well in france

A. thank you for taking the time to for interviewing me!

No comments: